Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Survival Skills for Children

I realised that I am usually more stressed when I am out with Hubby without the kids. Other than that he is the only other person whom I trust to keep to their routines (and no TV etc), I finally made the connection to the reason!

Because usually when we go out, we go for a movie! And the genre we choose usually involves some world disaster (e.g. alien invasion, war) - no romantic comedy for us, cannot waste our precious movie date! - which means all the time that bombs are exploding, aliens are abducting humans, the cities being flooded etc, I will be worrying what if this happens NOW? And I am NOT with my sons! Can't protect them.. how??

(Though the grandparents love them a lot and I am sure they will try their best to protect the two boys in the event of any disaster, the fact is they are not young anymore and do not have the physical ability to run fast fast while carrying the boys. I mean, if got aliens chasing them la.)

This is the main reason why I decided to start Jiale on swimming lessons. So that if Singapore gets flooded, he can swim. So that if aliens are chasing after him, he can jump into the water as an additional escape avenue.

Similarly, I hope he will be quite atheletic so that he can run fast fast away from danger. Be daring to try, for example, leap into the unknown (read: a higher height than what he is used to), so that he can jump across gaping holes. Preferably, jump from building to building too. (wait, or am I getting confused with Spiderman?)

Anyway, that's the idea lah. Survival skills are most basic. More important than phonics, math, whatever.

I am always racking my brains how to further improve his survival skills.. set up a fire? find shelter and food in a forest? differentiate between edible and poisonous fruits? Suggestions are most welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment